Mark Zuckerberg stands by decision on Trump posts amid mounting employee frustration

In a staffwide call that Facebook employees described as both tense and awkward, Zuckerberg sought to explain his reasoning to frustrated employees.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg told employees Tuesday that he was sticking with his decision not to take down incendiary posts in which President Donald Trump appeared to call for violence against protesters.

In a staffwide call that Facebook employees described as both tense and awkward, Zuckerberg sought to explain to frustrated employees why the company was standing by its decision and why he did not think the president’s posts ran afoul of the social media giant’s policies.

While Facebook has had to deal with a variety of issues in recent years, from misinformation to privacy concerns, few topics have ignited as much public furor as Zuckerberg’s decision not to take action on some of the president’s recent posts. That has also sparked rare public pushback from Facebook employees, who have begun to organize within the company, with some having staged a virtual walkout on Monday.

This was “a tough decision,” Zuckerberg said, according to three employees on the call who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak publicly. But it was in line with Facebook’s policies, he said, and “the right action … is to leave this up.”

Zuckerberg also took care to stress that Facebook was largely responsible for driving so much attention to the video of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody last week.

While many Facebook employees quietly support Zuckerberg’s decision, an increasingly large number do not. Hundreds have protested it internally, and many have taken to other social media platforms to denounce it publicly. At least a few have resigned in protest.

“Sentiment among my peers is that he is wildly out of touch and ruining the perception of Facebook

Leave a Reply