Manchester United have agreed a fee of £85million with Leicester City to make Harry Maguire the world’s most expensive defender.
The figure, which includes add-ons, was finally reached following weeks of negotiations between the two clubs. United are expected to pay initial £80m up front and a further £5m in add-ons.
The deal eclipses the £75m that Liverpool paid Southampton to sign Virgil van Dijk in January 2018.
Maguire is expected to undergo his medical on Saturday while United play AC Milan in Cardiff.
The 26-year-old had already pulled out of Leicester’s final pre-season friendly against Atalanta on Friday because he is not in the right frame of mind to play, having called in sick on Monday.
Maguire had made it clear to his manager Brendan Rodgers and teammates that he wants to go this summer after Leicester rebuffed United’s interest 12 months ago.
He did not feature in an official club video released on Thursday to announce the club’s squad numbers for the new season.
Top 10 Most Expensive Defenders:
- Harry Maguire – £85m (From Leicester to Man United)
- Virgil van Dijk – £75m (From Southampton to Liverpool)
- Lucas Hernandez – £68m (From Atletico Madrid to Bayern Munich)
- Matthijs de Ligt – £63m (From Ajax to Juventus)
- Aymeric Laporte – £57m (From Athletic Bilbao to Man City)
- Kyle Walker – £54m (From Tottenham to Man City)
- Benjamin Mendy – £52m (From Monaco to Man City)
- David Luiz – £50m (From Chelsea to Paris Saint-Germain)
- John Stones – £50m (From Everton to Man City)
- Davinson Sanchez – £42m (From Ajax to Tottenham)